Community Resilience, Food Security & Sustainable Livelihoods
Empowering and Building Community Resilience Through Food Security and Sustainable Livelihoods
- Developing and executing programming that supports community-based livelihood promotion;
- Providing tools, training and capacity-building to support the development of targeted job creation, entrepreneurial activity, and integrated economic clusters;
- Creating market access initiatives to link communities, particularly those that have been traditionally disengaged due to conflict;
- Supporting non-formal education related initiatives, particularly those emphasising Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET);
- Creating programs related to intergenerational skills transfer and knowledge-sharing to overcome the impacts of conflict related to skills transfer;
- Working with the community to develop stronger safety nets, particularly those focused on projects that enable economic growth in targeted areas such as agriculture, market access, access to finance;
- Building on community safety nets, develop with national banks a comprehensive microfinance strategy.
Promoting and Delivering Peace Building, Community Protection and Civic Education Initiatives
- Advocating for gender development issues and mainstreaming, targeting local authority institutions and national government ministries;
- Supporting Gender Development initiatives—women groups, seed grants, economic empowerment projects and social enterprise focused initiatives;
- Supporting psychological support to victims of Sexual Gender Based Violence;
- Promoting traditional conflict resolution mechanisms;
- Introducing and training Traditional Peace Committees;
- Promoting rights-based approaches on good citizenship and governance.
Delivering Equitable Education and Access to Learning
- Collaborating with both the national government and international partners to grow participation rates within primary and secondary education in South Sudan;
- Expanding the Girl’s Education Initiative "Tomorrow Now" to enable additional refugee girls to access education through financial and program sponsorships from HDC;
- Formalizing and expanding the existing teacher and PTA training initiatives to enable a deeper penetration rate, and an ongoing monitoring and capacity building process;
- Continuing to expand HDC’s process of school building, renovation and modernization through active fundraising and commitment to supply chain support and in-house technical capacity, such as engineering staff members.
Providing Public Health and Community Education on Health Issues
- Progressively addressing and contributing to improved sanitation efforts in communities, including processes focused on changing attitudes related to cultural practices;
- Enabling community to respond quickly and manage AWD outbreaks through access to knowledge, technical expertise, and tools;
- Creating sufficient awareness in basic hygiene through public health focused outreach programs;
- Supporting the construction of safe sanitation and shelter facilities;
- Distributing NFIs during emergencies;
- Undertaking cleaning campaigns in settlements;
- Strengthening curative healthcare services;
- Carrying out campaigns to strengthen and promote preventive healthcare;
- Supporting epidemic disease prevention—HIV/AIDS, cholera ETC;
- Collaborating with international and domestic partners to ensure a coordinated and impactful strategy in the above-mentioned areas.